Mobile Home Tax Information

Mobile Home Taxes Are Due by September 2, 2022 at 5:00 pm 

Mail-In Payments

Mail-In Payments must be postmarked no later than September 2, 2022 to avoid late penalty. Payments in the form of check should be payable to “Tax Collector” and mailed to:

County Collector
200 S. Ninth St
Springfield, IL 62701.

Other Payment Options can be found here:  Mobile Home Tax Payment Options

Late Payments

Taxes paid after September 2, 2022 are subject to a $25 PER MONTH LATE FEE up to a maximum of $100. The dates on which the $25 late fee will be added are September 3rd, October 3rd, and November 3rd. An additional $10 advertising fee will be added to unpaid taxes on September 16, 2022.

Annual Tax Sale

Taxes not paid by November 3, 2022 by 5:00 PM will be sold at the annual tax sale. This adds $44 in fees plus additional interest to the amount outstanding. In addition, the buyer of the taxes may take title to the Mobile Home at the end of the redemption period.

Prior Year Unpaid Taxes

Payoff amounts and payment amounts for prior year’s unpaid taxes are handled in Sangamon County Clerk’s office. The office phone number is (217) 753-6701.

Assessment Period

On January 1st of each year, mobile home owners are responsible for Mobile Home Local Services Tax. The tax is calculated by multiplying the rate (based on the age of the mobile home) times the square footage of the mobile home. Click here for Calculating Rates.

Annual Registration

Mobile home park owners must register each mobile home with the Sangamon County Clerk within 5 days of placement in the park. Homes not located in a park must register with the Sangamon County Clerk within 30 days of placement. Failure to register does not relieve tax liability.

Moving a Mobile Home

Before moving a Mobile Home outside a Mobile Home Park, please contact the local zoning office for required zoning regulations. 
          Mobile Home Moving Permit
That link will take you to the Mobile Home Search screen because you haven't chosen a Mobile Home to create the Moving Permit.  Once you have chosen a Mobile Home, goto the Reports/Forms Menu at the top and choose "Tax Payer" and then "Mobile Home Moving Permit".

Selling or Transferring Title of a Mobile Home

The Secretary of State (217) 782-6306 requires a tax certification from the Sangamon County Treasurer stating that all taxes are paid in full before the title can be transferred.
          Mobile Home Tax Certification
That link will take you to the Mobile Home Search screen because you haven't chosen a Mobile Home to create the Tax Certification.  Once you have chosen a Mobile Home, goto the Reports/Forms Menu at the top and choose "Tax Payer" and then "Mobile Home Tax Certification".

Senior or Disabled Citizen Exemption

Senior or disabled citizens may apply and receive an exemption which reduces their mobile home tax by 20%. You will need to show proof of age or disability. Contact the Sangamon County Clerk’s Office for more information at (217) 753-6730.

Disabled Veteran Exemption

(35 ILCS 515/7.5)

Sec. 7.5. Exemption for veterans with disabilities.

(a) Beginning on January 1, 2004, a mobile home owned and used exclusively by a veteran with a disability or the spouse or unmarried surviving spouse of the veteran as a home, is exempt from the tax imposed under this Act.

Beginning with the 2015 tax year, the exemption also applies to housing that is specifically constructed or adapted to suit a qualifying veteran's disability if the housing or adaptations are donated by a charitable organization, the veteran has been approved to receive funds for the purchase or construction of Specially Adapted Housing under Title 38, Chapter 21, Section 2101 of the United States Code, and the home has been inspected and certified by a licensed home inspector to be in compliance with applicable standards set forth in U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Benefits Administration Pamphlet 26-13 Handbook for Design of Specially Adapted Housing.

(b) As used in this Section:

"Veteran with a disability" means a person who has served in the armed forces of the United States and whose disability is of such a nature that the federal government has authorized payment for purchase or construction of specially adapted housing as set forth in the United States Code, Title 38, Chapter 21, Section 2101.

For purposes of this Section, "charitable organization" means any benevolent, philanthropic, patriotic, or eleemosynary entity that solicits and collects funds for charitable purposes and includes each local, county, or area division of that charitable organization.

"Unmarried surviving spouse" means the surviving spouse of the veteran at any time after the death of the veteran during which the surviving spouse is not married.

(c) Eligibility for this exemption must be reestablished on an annual basis by certification from the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs to the county clerk of the county in which the exempt mobile home is located. The county clerk shall forward a copy of the certification to local assessing officials.

(Source: P.A. 98-1145, eff. 12-30-14; 99-143, eff. 7-27-15.)